Here is an update for those interested in following the comings and goings on the Board of Directors:
- New and returning members elected to the board in October 2017 were Karen Fossum, Joni Karl, Nancy Malecha (a Just Food employee), Nola Moen, Clark Ohnesorge and Lee Runzheimer. Board members continuing with two years remaining in their terms are Alyson Center and Penny Hillemann. Adam Hoffmann and Dirk Peterson did not run for reelection.
- Six was an unusually large number of seats to fill in the election. Three of our nine board seats were open in the normal rotation of board terms. Three additional seats were open to fill out the terms of three board members (Dan Forsythe, Doug Hiza and Kathy Zeman) who stepped down from the board at various times, for a variety of reasons, earlier in 2017.
- After the deadline for 2017 board candidacy, a fourth opening occurred when Andrew Henley resigned after relocating to the Twin Cities. With six board openings to fill in the 2017 election, six declared candidates, and several appointments having been made earlier in the year to temporarily fill the seats of the board members who had resigned, the board had already dug deep to recruit candidates. So, we approached the two board candidates who were not already serving on the board to see if either was interested in coming on early to fill the opening until the end of 2017. Nancy Malecha was interested in this opportunity to join the board early, and in September the board appointed her to fill the vacancy.
- In January, when Nancy took her duly elected seat on the board, the seat formerly held by Andrew Henley was vacant again. Former board president Dirk Peterson indicated he would be willing to fill the seat (which has two remaining years in its term) until it is filled in the 2018 election. After a year of such high board turnover, the board values the continuity of having the immediate past president serve on the board for another year and we are grateful for Dirk’s willingness to serve. We have appointed Dirk to fill the open seat.
- New board officers were elected in January. They are:
- Penny Hillemann, president
- Joni Karl, vice president
- Lee Runzheimer, treasurer
- Clark Ohnesorge, secretary
The board welcomes input from member-owners. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at 516 Water Street South, Northfield, MN 55057.
By Penny Hillemann, Board President