- We strive to meet customer demands and follow market trends.
- We are a financially viable, member-owned cooperative.
- We provide healthy, sustainably produced products.
- We work to strengthen our local foodshed.
- We work to build a resilient social, economic, and ecological environment in our community and beyond.
- We strive for fairness in all of our relationships.
Taking into account customer demand and market trends, we strive to provide a wide variety of whole-food choices and products that are fresh, in season, minimally packaged and processed, reasonably priced, and produced and distributed by businesses with ethical practices and high quality standards. We purchase from cooperatives and companies with the most direct decision-making authority over their products and practices whenever possible.
Our products will be evaluated carefully using the following selection criteria in order of preference:
- Locally produced
- Certified Organic
- Fair Trade Certified
- Produced using sustainable practices
There are certain product characteristics that we prefer to avoid wherever possible. In many cases, these are characteristics that would be on our Product Limitations, but for difficulty in verifying compliance and/or lack of options.
Our products are evaluated carefully, applying a negative preference to (avoiding) the following criteria:
- Products containing Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
- Products containing nitrates
- Products that have been irradiated – killing many beneficial qualities in the product
- Supplements produced with fillers, binders, or artificial colors or flavors
- Wellness products containing ingredients such as lauryl sulfates, sodium cetearyl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, propylene glycol, PEG, PPG, petroleum ingredients, phenoxyethanol, TEA, DEA, EDTA or synthetic fragrances.
Our products are evaluated carefully to ensure we do not knowingly carry products meeting any of the following criteria:
- Food products that contain artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives – including MSG
- Products containing artificial or chemical sweeteners
- Products containing trans-fats or hydrogenated oils
- Products containing High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Products containing parabens (methyl, poly, or butyl)
- Products that have been tested on animals
- Products produced with artificial growth hormones or antibiotics (rGBH, rBST, etc.)
- Products that don’t meet our cage-free living-condition requirements